YSB’s Children First Parent Education Program is for divorcing parents of children age 18 and under. Parents learn about problems that arise in divorcing families, and how to effectively deal with when they affect their children. Issues include separation, custodial conflict, and visitation exchange issues.
YSB Instructors provide information and motivation to parents to make the divorce process as smooth as possible for the children involved. Children need to know without a doubt that their well-being is your top priority. That is why the program is called “Children First”.
- The program consists of one 4 hour session. Classes are held several times per month. Please call for dates.
- The Children First Program is an educational program; not a counseling program.
- The program’s format is one of topic presentations followed by group discussion. Topics presented are those divorcing parents have determined to be most common causes of conflict and emotional distress among children.
Cost and Other Information
- The fee is $65 per person. Payment must be made by cash or money order. Personal checks are not accepted.
- Parents who provide written proof of indigence, or proof of representation by Prairie State Legal, or the federal and state income assistance will not be charged a fee for the program.
- Parents must be pre registered and pay in advance prior to the start of the program. Walk in registrations and payments at the door will not be accepted.
- Divorcing couples may not attend the same session.
Proof of Completion
Certificates will be given at the end of the program as proof of successful completion. It is the responsibility of each parent to present the certificate to the family court judge at the time of his or her divorce proceedings.
Each parent is responsible to register for his or her own class. YSB requires parents to pre-register and pre-pay for the class that best meets their scheduling and location needs. Classes are currently being held in LaSalle, Princeton and Ottawa, Illinois.
For more information or to register, call Youth Service Bureau of Illinois Valley weekdays Between 9 and 5: (815) 431-3000
Classes are held at the Youth Service Bureau
424 W. Madison
Ottawa, IL 61350
Classes held at the YSB office at the Princeton Children First location
(Cornbelt Energy Bldg.)
1702 1/2 W. Peru St.
Princeton, IL 61356
Classes held at the YSB office at the LaSalle Children First location
(Ficek Electric Bldg. by State Police Hdqtrs.)
12 Gunia Drive.
La Salle, IL 61350